Black and white cottageTraditional black and white houseBlakemere Villagew GreenChurchyard crossThe Mere and Blakemere HillBlakemere preaching crossSt Leonards Blakemere

Blakemere, Herefordshire

Home
St Leonards Blakemere
St Leonards Blakemere
..

top

Welcome to Blakemere

top

Blakemere (A Short History)

top

Blakemere is a small hamlet, of approximately thirty five houses and about seventy five residents, in the county of Herefordshire, England.   It is located in the River Wye valley midway between Hereford and Hay-on-Wye on the B4352 road.

Although it is claimed that the name Blakemere was first recorded in the 13th century, Church records show that the parish church of St Leonard's commenced building in A.D 1180 and was completed by A.D 1200.   Built initially with 120 sittings, and with all of the adjacent parishes having their own parish churches, St Leonard's was obviously intended to service an already large existing community in the early part of the 11th century, therefore suggesting that the community in the parish probably predates the Doomsday book.

In common with many other ancient parishes, the parish of Blakemere in the Weobley district primarily existed for ecclesiastical functions until the late fifteen hundreds when it began performing both civil and ecclesiastical roles until the adoption of the parishes by the government as administrative units. Subsequently authority was gradually ceded by all rural parishes to urban districts and boroughs as they developed until the present day when the primary authority for local government of rural areas lies with the county councils, and parishes like Blakemere, retain only very limited authority in the form of a parish council 

The ancient parish and village of Blakemere encompasses some one thousand, one hundred and twenty one acres of the surrounding countryside of which some six acres are water. The soil is chiefly light loam, subsoil and sandstone and supports an excellent range of crops, fruits and animals with agriculture being the principal occupation until comparatively recently.

..

top

The focal point of the village is the church, which is dedicated to St Leonard, the patron saint of prisoners, the sick, and women in labour.  It is built in an excellent position by the village green, with views from the church across the adjacent countryside and, in particular, towards Blakemere hill.

St Leonards Church
St Leonards
..

top

Records show that the building of the original church commenced in the year 1180 and was completed by approximately 1200 A.D but owing to significant damage by fire it was rebuilt in 1877, at a cost of £1000, as nearly as possible to the same lines as the old church.  The stone built church is in the transitional style and consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing three bells.  There are stained glass windows, a fine Norman arch and a brass dated 1760: there are 120 sittings.  The graveyard has been active since very early times and the church register dates from 1600.  A number of grave markers can still be seen dating from the 1600’s.

In the churchyard to the south east of the church, is a preaching cross, the head of which is Victorian while the single stone shaft, rare in Herefordshire, is first recorded in the 14th century, but tradition suggests it is significantly earlier, possibly early Saxon, and if so possibly predates the church itself.

Blakemere preaching cross

Blakemere Preaching Cross

During the nineteenth century St Leonards, in common with many other local churches, was visited several times by Kilvert, the prominent Victorian diarist.

..

top

Several names are recorded over the past thousand years or so for the parish and village of Blakemere,

Blaecae's Mere       Circa A.D 1000?
Blakmare               1273   Comp. Rolls
Blakemar               1291. Tax.  Eccles.
Blakemere.            1341.  Non. Inq.
Blakemere.            17th century map of Herefordshire.
Blackmere.            17th century map of Herefordshire.

The name means:-   Old English Blaec (Black),  Old English Mere (pond Pool, or Water,)

It has been suggested that "Blaecae's Mere" may refer to the name of a person owning or in possession of the mere.

All of the other names are references to the colour of the mere which lies a short distance to the west of St Leonard's church.

Since the twelfth century usage has favoured Blakemere and Blackmere with a gradual leaning in more recent times to the former.   The variation in names may be one reason for the the village not being recorded in the Doomsday book?  Although there is still debate about both the origin and names of Blakemere, there is evidence backed by tradition, to suggest that Blakemere (or Blackmere) takes its name from the pond which lies in a hollow a few yards to the south west of the church.  The pond, in old English was known as the "Blaec mere", or the dark coloured pool, and was known historically as a watering point for cattle etc, on one of the main droving routes connecting Wales with Hereford.

The Mere and Blakemere Hill
The Mere and Blakemere Hill

..

top

Neolithic flints and tools have been found in the parish indicating that the area was significantly populated in pre-historic times, evidenced also by the presence of burial mounds, barrows and hill forts on the nearby surrounding hills.

Arthur's Stone
Arthur's Stone (A nearby burial Mound)
During 2008 an Archeological dig found artifacts and evidence of a Roman enclosure beside Stonyfield lane near to the Old School at Blakemere suggesting that, as the current residents do, the occupants found pleasure in residing in the Blakemere area even in those turbulent times

Twenty two of the thirty five homes within Blakemere are medieval or post medieval, being built between the tenth and the sixteenth centurys

Ancient and Modern Blakemere
Ancient and Modern Blakemere
      
..

top

Blakemere Preaching Cross
Arthur's Stone (a futher example of nearby burial mounds)
..

top

The area in which Blakemere is located is known as the "Golden Valley North".  It is bounded to the south west by Blakemere hill, to the north west by the parish of Moccas, to the north east by the parish of Preston and to the south east  by the parish of Tyberton.  By common consent, the parish councils of Tyberton, Blakemere, Preston, Moccas and Bredwardine are essentially combined, meeting together and co-operating fully wherever practicable, although the individual councillors still represent the principle interests of their respective parishioners.

Village Green
Blakemere Village Green

During the nineteenth century the population of Blakemere was between one hundred and sixty and two hundred residents with all of the usual supporting facilities common at that time.  Sadly, during the twentieth century the population declined to its present level.  However, what the village now lacks in numbers is more than compensated for by the closeness of the community and the friendliness of the villagers...

top

The links below are to allow search engines to index all the information on your website that has world access.
All Information Map General Info News Media album Events Documents Links | About Blakemere Home Map Members | Blakemere Parish Plan Home Map Steering Group